Thursday, August 28, 2008

Weekend Review

I'm utterly and completely sure that the community aspect of rhetoric plays an important-- if not the MOST important-- role in how effective a text is at achieving its intention. It also takes on a high degree of importance in that the social aspect of rhetoric is not just a factor to consider in terms of the audience... it also directly influences the writer's biases and background, going so far as to determine the sort of textual techniques any given writer will use in constructing any sort of text.

What I am unsure of to this point is exactly what is meant by "Discourse Community." While I understand that, by and large, this refers to any group of people that are differentiated from other groups by the way they speak or write in terms of the language and techniques they use, I still feel as if I'm missing a larger point. So I suppose my question would be, "Can we better define discourse community and make a better effort to fit it into practical contexts to help us in understanding the concept as a whole."

No comments: