Tuesday, October 21, 2008

October 21st: Analyzing Data

*Faigley's Social Perspective

*Bazerman/Intertextuality
1) Direct Quotation
2) Indirect Quotation
3) Mentioning another document
4) Commenting on another text
5) Using recognizable phrases

*Prior, "Tracing Writing Process"
-Analyzing texts: same btwdrafts, slightly revised, ADDED, [deleted]
-Thinking aloud: differentiating between various TYPES of comments

*Influence of Workplace Culture
Editorial Comments: Kleinmann's four categories of revision comments

*Analyzing Genres
-Lingquistic features: uses active verbs, presents concrete details
-Rhetorical features:
-Organizational features:

*Speaking/Writing Connection

*Rhetorical Theory

*Coding Data
Reading all the collected data, looking for patterns, themes, similarities/differences to emerge

FREEWRITE:
Given that my proposal is still a bit in limbo (though it is moving in a much better direction and should be resolved entirely within the next few days), I am able to accurately determine the direction of my proposal as I've worked in the field before. To begin, I'm going to ask my subject for any written or printed correspondence of a business nature (or a personal nature in the business setting) in order to analyze these materials for trends-- I.E. Structural habits or techniques; tone and clarity; use of ethos, pathos, and logos; et cetera. This is work that I can conduct at home, however, so I will be focusing the lion's share of my time spent face to face with the person conducting at least one brief interview in the beggining in order to gain a grasp on the way HE views his own writing in the context of the workplace and how he views his own writing process-- in other words, his own beliefs concerning the process in his own words. Following this, I will spend at least part of a day examining him at work in order to gain an idea of how integral a role writing plays in his occupation as well as to, hopefully, begin to understand the specific eccentricities or subconscious nature of his writing and writing process. Having collected data in this manner, I will then conduct a followup interview to address any questions that may have presented themselves in the course of studying my subject's writing and writing process. By this point, important and/or interesting aspects of the role this writer plays in his profession will have begun to present themselves and I should be able to flesh these out in a full ethnographic report.

No comments: